Thursday, June 11

Price of Pad Thai

I made 4-5 large / 6 moderate servings of "pad thai" at home last night.

I think it cost $13.45, or $2.24 per moderate / $3 per large serving.

So it's not "shoestring," but I think I can do it cheaper in the future. I got a tiny (7 oz.), expensive ($3.50) bottle of "Thai Kitchen" fish sauce because my huge "Viet Huang Three Crabs" had gone bad. But then my recipe turned out to need 3 oz of fish sauce, and I doubled it, so I could've maybe bought the smallest a cheaper brand comes in, instead, and just promised myself I'd make food w/ fish sauce one more time within the year. (Save maybe $1-$1.50/recipe this size?)

Here's the breakdown:

  • A pound of noodles, $2
  • 4 eggs, $1
  • About half a pack of dried mushrooms, $1
  • 2 largeish onions, $1
  • 7 green onions*, $1.70
  • 2 cloves garlic, 10¢
  • 1 finger of ginger, <40¢
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, 10¢
  • 3 limes, 50¢
  • cilantro, $1
  • a few peanuts, 50¢
  • 6 oz. fish/soy sauce, $3
  • 12 oz. tofu, $1
  • 1/4 c. sugar, 15¢
Tonight: lasagna! (Note: the cheese is pricey.)

And as always, thank you to the amazing BFP for the idea to share stories of attempting to eat cheaply.

No comments:

Recent headlines from the blog "Black and Missing but Not Forgotten:"