Thursday, June 25

Good Strawberries

If I die a slow, miserable death of cancer because I gorged myself on pesticide-covered, most-strawberry-flavored-that-a-strawberry-can-get strawberries each June, I might just have to call it a wash. Or even a win.

Because damn, do these strawberries taste good. I thought they might when I saw them at the market. I suspect they might've even been picked at the crack of dawn this morning. Maybe that's why they taste so good.

I go HUNTING each June for a vendor selling strawberries this good. I hit it today.

I don't think strawberries taste as good once they're covered in water...and I didn't have the heart to ask the farmer if her strawberries had been sprayed at any point. We didn't have much to share, so I wanted to share my joy about buying strawberries, not my worrying questions.

So here I go, eating a quart and a half of unwashed strawberries in an hour. (All right, I might puke for non-pesticide-related reasons.)

But they're the best flavor strawberries can ever have.

So I'll just love life right this moment and have someone dig up this journal and remind me of every June's strawberry season in my life if bad times come later.

I love everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really should wash them, if not for the pesticides, then for the other stuff that you'd find on them (e.g., remains of dead insects). I've never noticed them tasting worse as a result of a rinse. And if it bothers you too much, let them out to dry a little on a paper towel after they are washed.

Also, you should try to find a place that lets you pick your own; picking my own strawberries earlier this year was a rather delightful experience.

Recent headlines from the blog "Black and Missing but Not Forgotten:"