Monday, July 20

Hispanic Worker Deaths Up 76% While Other Worker Deaths Down

This headline on the front page of USA Today was horrifying:
Hispanic worker deaths up 76% since 1992
As was the first paragraph:

The number of Hispanic workers who die on the job has risen, even as the overall number of workplace deaths has declined, according to federal statistics.


I was horrified & sad when I saw the paper.

Now I'm more mad.

That's all, I guess.

Oh wait. I liked Hilda Solis's comment that language barriers are not an excuse for failing to protect people when they're working. Not sure what the next step is for me--targeting the gov't. to make sure they stick to it, targeting businesses (e.g. union campaigns to make businesses do certain safety things, etc.). But at least she gave me some words to arm with.

No comments:

Recent headlines from the blog "Black and Missing but Not Forgotten:"