Thursday, February 21

Food

I want asparagus!



My roommate and her boyfriend are eating dinner at our house--finally. She's been so absentee, spending all her time at his place.

But I ate grains all day. Like...2 bowls 6 servings of oatmeal w/ brown sugar.
Ick. (No, I don't know why I thought I was that hungry for oatmeal the 2nd time.)

We both want something easy, since we won't start cooking till late, and I have to leave town early tomorrow morning. But I do not want more grains.

So I'm looking Cooking For Engineers as I start thinking about what should be for dinner, and though there's not much that's vegetable-oriented (I've also gone overboard on meat lately), the site did have directions for cooked asparagus.



Great. Now I can't get off my mind how easy and yummy asparagus would be.

But I can't begin to imagine the conditions asparagus at this time of year would have been raised & harvested under.




And I know, I know, I know what BFP, the author of that link, would say. She'd tell me to eat asparagus tonight and spend 2 hours fighting for labor rights when I get back in town.

But dammit, when I get back in town, I need to throw myself into my anti-light-rail-on-University work. So that's just not gonna happen.

And I just don't like the idea that if I buy asparagus, I know that to enjoy the quality time with my roommate that I'm seeking tonight, I'm going to put the labor conditions out of mind. Because you can't pay serious attention to the human being across the table from you when you're thinking about social justice issues.

So...given that I'm not going to do any labor activism when I return...........
eeeeeeg.

No comments:

Recent headlines from the blog "Black and Missing but Not Forgotten:"